How to Upgrade OpenCart?
OpenCart is a free shopping cart system you can download and use for free. It is one of the most popular open source PHP-based online e-commerce solutions. OpenCart is periodically updated with new versions of itself. It is a good idea to update your store with each new version released to take advantage of new features, bug fixes, security enhancements and improvements. It may seem like a hassle to update the shop every time a new version comes out, but it is worth the effort in the long run. There are ways to avoid the pain of upgrades, such as using quality themes and modules that do not modify your OpenCart core, or using vQmod, override engine.
1. Backup your database and download files from the root directory.
2. Download the latest version of OpenCart. Once you are done with that, extract the downloaded zip file.
3. Upload the files from the latest version
- There are two files that need to be excluded from the upload to the store's root
- If you are running a custom theme or you have third party modules or any other modifications it is important to check compatibility prior to the upgrade.
4. Visit the install page. The install page is located at the store location followed by
/install like so:
5. The following screenshot displays the upgrade instructions after it finishes updating when viewing the install page.
6. After letting OpenCart upgrade complete, the following success message will be displayed. The install directory can be deleted now.
After letting OpenCart upgrade complete, the following success message will be displayed. The install directory can be deleted now.
After Finishing the upgrade
1. Remove cookies from your browser.
2. Press CTRL+F5 for in both the admin side and the store front
3. Visit the store settings and fill in any missing information.
4. Visit the User Groups and give the Top Administrator all the privileges needed to run the administration.
5. Once the administration is in order, you can resume the routine of managing your store; except now you are equipped with all the improved tools and features brought by the update.